Tuesday 12 March 2013

2 new loaves

Two new loaves in the space of two weeks!

The first was a more conventional "rye and barley loaf", utilising my well-loved rye starter. It was based on a Dan Lepard recipe but altered slightly in that he uses a white leaven in his... but it worked really well. Not sour at all, a slight tang but not so my daughter noticed (she's my barometer in terms my sourdoughs are as she won't tolerate anything more than a bare hint of sourness!!!).

No photos of this one but it was a fairly standard, round-looking example!

Then I tried something very different!!! If you keep up with food blogs/pinterest/twitter foodies, you may have seen/heard of the "life-changing loaf" from Sarah Britton at "My New Roots"...

http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

Well, I can confirm that it is indeed "life changing"! No yeast, it uses psyllium seed husks, seeds, nuts and oats (well, I used quinoa flakes as I am more than a little obsessed with quinoa at the moment!). Quite simply delicious! Now, you know I have nothing against yeast, wheat or gluten.. obviously!!!! But I do love something different and this was certainly that..... reactions amongst the family were mixed. Husband liked it (although he did say it was like a giant block of bird food... I don't *think* that's a bad thing...). Son declared it "really good".. daughter refused to try it... ah well, can't win them all!!!!!

 
It's upside down... but it's still good!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment